Paint the City Green
Planting trees in cities isn’t anything new. Almost every major city on the planet has some sort of green space, whether it’s a park, greenway, or urban forest,
What is new is the research on how beneficial these city trees can be. A meta-analysis recently amassed all the data in one place.
Here’s some of the facts on the effects of increased urban greenery.
- A reduction for a variety of health issues, including respiratory diseases and skin cancer.
- Increased property value, improved business performance, and job creation.
- Improved air quality, water quality, and water absorption (think of all the flooding recently).
- Reduction in crime and accidents.
- Improved academic performance and focus.
We often think of city trees as decorations; nice to look, sure, but that’s about it. The science shows us that they should be treated as a fundamental part of urban infrastructure.
Check out how other groups are creatively planting trees around the world here.
Share this with a tree lover!