Here are your good news planet-based snippets for the week of September 28th, 2020. If you missed last week, check them out here!
Let’s start with some news on the climate change front.
– China, the world’s top emitter of carbon, announced a surprising commitment to become carbon neutral by 2060.
– Many large-scale corporations including Walmart, BP, Morgan Stanley, Amazon, and Google have recently released comprehensive and ambitious carbon reduction plans.
– After wildfires have consumed over 3.5 million acres in CA this year, Gov. Newsom signed an order banning sales of new gasoline cars by 2035.
– Airbus released three concepts for hydrogen-powered airplanes that could come into service as soon as 2035.
– And finally, here is a great article on how the average person can be a part of the transition to clean energy.
Now, let’s check in on the good old animal kingdom.
– This beaked whale set a new record by going on a near 4-hour dive.
– Ringling’s retired circus elephants are moving to a state of the art conservation center.
– Learn how wildfires have helped these woodpeckers make a comeback.
– ‘Hero rat’ wins gold medal from UK charity for hunting landmines.
– Read this incredible story about how a group of loggers helped a group of environmentalists save the Great Bear Rainforest.
And finally, as we head into fall…
– Here’s a great article on why leaves change colors.
And that wraps up our good news planet edition. Check back next week for more!